THE CONNECTOR: Rotary Scholar Julia Öhrn Interviewed About Her Year at Ashley Hall by Alyssa Yang

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Rotary Scholar Julia Öhrn Interviewed About Her Year at Ashley Hall by Alyssa Yang



Rotary Scholar Julia Öhrn at Ashley Hall Prom
Interview with Julia Öhrn
by Alyssa Yang

In the Fall of 2013, Julia Öhrn, a Swedish exchange student, came to Ashley Hall for a year of study through the Rotary Scholar Program. Despite being five thousand miles away from home, she firmly believes America is her second home and enjoys the opportunity for study abroad at Ashley Hall. Recently, Alyssa Yang, student reporter, sat down with Julia to learn about her experience abroad.


Hi, Julia! How do you describe yourself?

I was born about 20 miles away from Stockholm (capital) in a suburb city called Täby. There are four people in my family, including me. My parents always support me and encourage me in my life. I have an older brother, who is now on his trip to Thailand. I have a Bichon Havanese puppy.
Julia Öhrn and friends dressed for prom

My friends would describe me as a positive, happy and brave girl. I am almost always happy and a truthful friend as well.  I might seem reserved and quiet, but if you get to know me, I am an out-going and optimistic person. I love to laugh as well. In my spare time, I like to workout to keep healthy. I also have some hobbies, such as dancing, Zumba. This year, I joined the Ashley Hall cross country team and track team, and through working with different team members, I have learned a lot from teamwork spirit. I love adventure travel because I can get inspired by different cultures and discover new worlds. As Mark Twain once wrote, Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Actually, this is not the first time that I have been to America. I traveled to America when I was in elementary school.  Since then, I have hoped to come back and visit America again. Now I am living my dream! I am very glad that I have the chance to study here.


What are some current events facing your country today?

Julia Öhrn with family and friends celebrating Midsommar in Sweden
One of the most important holidays that we celebrate every year is Midsommar (Midsummers Day), which takes place on Friday between June 19 and June 26. During Midsummer, whole families gather to celebrate this tradition in a summer house in countryside. 

Another big event is the Swedish Parliament election. The next European parliamentary election in Sweden will be held on May 25th in 2014. The election is within a multi-party system. 


If you had one word to describe Ashley Hall, what would it be? Why?

Powerful. I think Ashley Hall strongly promotes growth in courage, independence, and leadership of young women and also makes a good balance between students lives in and out of school.

Swedish Crayfish

If you could tell one thing about your culture, what would it be?

Lagom. It is a Swedish word meaning not too much and not too little and just the perfect amount of everything in life. It is also a word to describe Swedish peoples lifestyles. Overall, people are very friendly in Sweden and it is a peaceful country.
Swedish Strawberry Cake



What are the most difficult challenges or obstacles that you have ever faced in America? How did you overcome these challenges or obstacles?
Well, I would say probably that being alone and away from family and friends is the most difficult thing. At first, it was hard for me to speak English all day. As the time went by, I have improved on my spoken English a lot. I also had problems learning U.S. history and English, but I tried to catch up on my grades in those classes. My host families have always encouraged me and helped me with my English.



How would you describe your homestay experience?

Julia Öhrn skiing in Utah
I have stayed with three different families, and this has made me learn the different family customs These experiences have fostered my adaptability and helped me become more mature. My host families always

 take me to visit other places in America, such as, New York and Utah. They also have always been careful to give me my privacy, and I can always find quiet when I am needed. At last, I wish them all of the best, and cannot thank them enough for making me feel so at home.


What have you learned about yourself in the past year at Ashley Hall?

I have learned how to be an independent and strong young woman. I have learned to give everyone second chance, because first impression can be misleading sometimes. More important, everyone has her/his own advantages. I used to take the thing for granted, but now I realize that I should appreciate every little things in life and people who around me.


What are some most memorable events since you have been here?

It has been a year full of memories! The Thanksgiving holiday was special for me because it was a celebration that we dont have in Sweden. It was a celebration full of love and appreciation.

Do you have any advice for the other new exchange students who might come next year?

Try to enrich your life as much as you can in this year! I would encourage the other exchange students to really be a part of Ashley Hall, and thats the thing I would have changed if I could. Dont be embarrassed to make mistakes and to make more friends here. You should always ASK if you have questions about anything and always be grateful to your host families. If you fall behind in a class, you can always ask teachers for extra help, and they would love to help you with that!


Would you come back to America?

Absolutely!!! I love Charleston, and I think it is a beautiful city. I also would like to travel the whole country.

Julia Öhrn in front of the Ashley Hall Shell House

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julia, thank you for bringing your "lagom" self to Ashley Hall. We will miss you!

Post a Comment